Possible Green (Pvt) Ltd, Kilinochchi invited 30 local farmers presenting them with a demonstration of their production process and a ‘Fairtrade’ deal that the company proposes, to which all the farmers agreed and signed the contract. A coordinator among the farmers was elected to facilitate the future communications with Possible Green.
The deal agreed with the farmers is presented as follows:
- Payment for the herbs, leaves and the other raw materials will be fair and guaranteed higher than the other whole sale market rate.
- Small scale purchases will be accepted
- Priority will be given for Economically Disadvantaged Producers
- Possible Green Ltd will be transparent in its management and commercial relations.
- The organisation trades with concern for the social, economic and environmental well-being of marginalised small producers and will not maximise profit at their expense.
- A fair price is one that has been mutually agreed by all through dialogue and participation, which provides fair pay to the producers and can also be sustained by the market.
- The organisation adheres to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, and national / local law on the employment of children. The organisation ensures that there is no forced labour in its workforce and / or members or homeworkers.
- Commitment to Non Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women’s Economic Empowerment, and Freedom of Association
- Respect for the Environment
- Ensure using natural fertilisers
- Ensure to be non GMO